Assalamu’alaikum wr wb,
Help to save the environment. Learn the science of cleaning and reusing dirty water by conducting interesting water purification experiments. Build your own water filtration using the same method.
In this experiment, we used the assembled filter column from the kit to purify water. The various filters in the column remove impurities from the water.
Contents from the water filter kit:
- Active carbon.
- Filter paper.
- Filter sections.
- Dirty water (half fill a small glass of water, add soil and oil to it and stir to make a brownish coloured mixture).
Constructing the filter column
1. Put the filter paper into the 4th filter section.
2. Put the active carbon into the 3rd filter section.
3. Put the sand into the 2nd filter section.
4. Put the gravel into the 1st filter section.
The completed filter column.
Doing the experiment
Pour the dirty water into the top of the filter column very slowly.
The water will trickle slowly down through the filters.
Each section of the filter column removes particles from the water, purifying it. The different filters remove particles of different sizes. The grains of the sand and gravel have small spaces between them. These allow water to pass through, but trap particles in the water. The carbon granules are made from material called active carbon. Chemicals ih the water cling to the surface of the carbon and are removed from the water. The filter paper has tiny holes between it fiber. It is particularly effective in filtering oil.
The filter column demontrates the principles used at water purification plants, which supply drinking water to households.
This experiment is not intended as a filtering device for drinking water. Please do not drink the water.
Using the same method, you can build your own water filtration.
You will need:
- Empty clear plastic bottle (cut the bottom).
- Coarse sand.
- Fine sand.
- Cotton/cheese cloth.
- Clean container to collect clean water.
- Dirty water (half fill a small glass of water, add soil and oil to it and stir to make a brownish coloured mixture.
Constructing the filter
1 . Cut the bottom of the clear plastic bottle.
2 . Fill the inside with layers of cotton/cheese cloth, fine sand, coarse sand and gravel (the filter sections), as you can see in the picture above.
3.Stand the bottle upside down on the top of the container.
Doing the experiment
Pour the dirty water into the bottle, see the picture below.
How clean is the water that runs into the container?
Please do not drink the water.
Wassalamu’alaikum wr wb.
Source: Green Science.