Set 1 – s, a, t, p
Set 2 – i, n, m, d
Set 3 – g, o, c, k
Set 4 – ck, e, u, r
Set 5 – h, b, f, ff, l, ll, ss
The purpose of this phase is to teach at least 19 letters, and move children on from oral blending and segmentation to blending and segmenting with letters. By the end of the phase many children should be able to read some VC and CVC words and to spell them either using magnetic letters or by writing the letters on paper or on whiteboards.
During the phase they will be introduced to reading two-syllable words and simple captions. They will also learn to read some high-frequency ‘tricky’ words: the, to, go, no.
Suggested timetable for Phase Two:
– Teach set 1 letters
– Practise the letter(s) and sound(s) learned so far
– Briefly practise oral blending and segmentation
Download the Set 1 here – Handwriting Practise and Grapheme Flash Cards
Terms and Conditions of Use:
• You may print or download this file for your personal use only.
• Please do not modify the file.
• Not to be sold, distributed, reproduced or transferred in any form.
• For permission requests please contact Rahmah Muslim Homeschool.
• If you would like to share, please link to my blog post not directly to the pdf file.
• No commercial use