Below are our homeschooling lesson plans for Year 5 (Autumn Term Part 1) that I created using the National Curriculum Framework document in England as a guide and some worksheet ideas.
1. Writing Non-Fiction: Vacation diary + recount our last vacation using the mind mapping technique (where we travelled; how did we get there; what the weather was like; the food, things we bought, things we did etc).
2. Design a travel brochure using images or graphs.
3. Apply knowledge of morphology & etymology when reading new words (root words, prefixes, suffixes) to include: re-, sub-, inter-, super-, anti-, auto-, -ation, -ous.
4. Spell some words with silent letters (worksheets).
5. Homophones (worksheets).
6. Reading Fiction: Why the Whales Came – explore the vocabulary in the text.
7. Writing Fiction: Recognise and use similes and metaphors.
8. Reading Non-Fiction: Ibn Battuta (the Greatest Explorer of all Time).
9. Reading Poetry: The First Men on Mercury – investigate irregular plurals e.g man/men.
1. Secure place value to at least 1,000,000 (worksheet 1 worksheet 2).
2. Convert between words and digits up to 1,000,000.
3. Count forwards and backwards in steps of powers of 10 up to 1,000,000 (worksheet).
4. Count forwards and backwards with positive and negative whole numbers.
5. Rounding to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, 10 000, 100 000 (worksheet).
6. Roman numerals (worksheet).
7. Add and subtract whole numbers with more than 4 digits (columnar).
8. Add and subtract numbers mentally.
Science: Growing up healthy, Life Cycles.
1. Revise the 6 Pillars of Iman.
2. All about Angel Jibril.
3. Madinah before Islam.
4. Hijrah to Madinah.
5. Travel and tourism (siyaahah) in Islam.
6. Dua before travelling.
1. In Geography, children will: learn about places where we travelled: name of countries and cities, know about similarities and differences between different localities, be able to use maps at a variety of scales.
2. In History, children will: learn some of historical places, know about a range of events that have happened in the past.
3. In Art, children will: know about the work of artists can be seen in a wide variety of places such as art sculptures, holiday souvenirs.
4. In ICT, children will: learn how to use mapping software, know about international roaming when travelling to another country, be able to use a compass and sat nav.
1. Using maps and globes to locate the UK.
2. Identify the neighbouring countries, the capitals and the continent which their country belongs to.
3. Learn the 8 points compass directions.
4. Find out the Qiblah using a compass.
Resources: Why The Whales Came book, 100 Literacy hours, Islamic Study Books, Children Atlas book, Articles/videos about Ibn Batutta, The Amazing Adventures of Ibn Battuta.
Note Autumn Term 1: England: 03/09/18-19/10/18; Wales: 03/09/18-26/10/18
* 03/09/18 = Inset day
You can download the pdf version here.
إن شاء الله
Rahmah Muslim Homeschool